Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vampires in Pop Culture Feature: Moonlight


Moonlight was only on for one season in 2007-2008, but what a season it was. Five years later, I still miss it, and the show still holds up even with time.

Private detective Mick St. John (Alex O'Loughlin) was smouldering in every scene and the chemistry between him and reporter Beth Turner (Sophia Myles) was hot enough to set the screen on fire.

I loved the back and forth "will-they-won't-they" each week, and the tension when Mick's ex-wife Coraline (Shannyn Sossamon) made an appearance kept me on the edge of my seat and desperate for answers. Just when I thought I hated her, I'd see something that made me wonder if she was really so bad as we'd been led to believe. If the show had been continued, I really hoped for more of her story.

But I have to say that my favorite character was none of the three corners of the love triangle but Mick's wisecracking rich sidekick, Josef Kostan (Jason Dohring). The wicked humor of Josef was a delight, and he always seemed to say just what the rest of us in the audience were thinking:

Josef Kostan: So, have you sealed the deal yet?
Mick St. John: It's not about sex.
Josef Kostan: Everything's about sex.
Mick St. John: I'm 52 years older than her, I drink blood bought from the morgue, and I tend to bite down when I...
Josef Kostan: Some women like that.
But Josef also showed a secret heart of gold and over the course of the season, it became clear why he and Mick were such close friends. His story was one I really was begging to hear, and it disappointed me that we only got a glimpse into his backstory.

Each episode of Moonlight was smart, sexy, exciting, and full of mystery. Mick's narration made it feel like an old time detective story, but with a supernatural twist that made it fresh and unpredictable. The writers managed to make a show that was full of surprises, and when I heard that CBS had decided to cancel it before it really had enough time to reach its potential, I was really disappointed. I think they missed out on a great opportunity by not taking a chance on a vampire mystery/romance. The same year, True Blood premiered on HBO, and obviously, audiences were quite willing to watch and keep coming back for more. Moonlight could definitely have given it a run for it's money if CBS had been willing to take a chance on it.

Episodes of Moonlight are available on DVD or can be downloaded from Amazon, Netflix, or iTunes. If you missed it, you're in for a real treat. And if you haven't seen it in a while, it's definitely worth rewatching.

No comments:

Post a Comment