Saturday, December 28, 2013

2013 Gratitude

I have a lot to be grateful for over this past year, so I thought I'd take a moment to appreciate the good things. There are lots more I could list, but these are the big things.
  1. I finished writing a book. Not my first book, but the first book I've really been serious about trying to perfect and sell. I'm going to say it again. I. FINISHED. WRITING. A. BOOK.
  2. I discovered that there was an audience for that book. I had hoped it would be true, but having people read the sample and then say "I want more" is wonderful confirmation.
  3. My family is my rock. I am so blessed with the many ways they support me. I could not have completed any of the goals I set for myself without their help, emotionally, physically, and financially. I am truly and deeply grateful.
  4. I have fantastic friends, both online and off, and they have supported me, given me encouragement, and made my life so much richer. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. You all know who you are, and you are the best.
  5. Layla is the best dog ever. Seriously.

  6. After nine years, my house is finally almost done. What a journey it has been! Can I get an "AMEN"? Honestly, this used to be my kitchen.

    Now my house looks like this.

    The difference is truly astounding to me.
  7. I have a dedicated office in my house at last, and I finally feel like I can do some serious work in this space.
  8. My co-workers are such great people to work alongside. I have never worked anywhere that was so warm and caring.
  9. My health has improved dramatically. This time last year, I was having constant asthma attacks and serious recurrent health problems. Thanks to a wonderful doctor and diligent effort, my asthma, thyroid, blood pressure, anemia, low immune system, and general fatigue are all under control, and in some cases the symptoms went away entirely. I would never have been able to finish writing my book if not for that change, and I am truly humbled by the difference a year makes.
  10. Going to the World Horror Convention in New Orleans was not only a fabulous vacation which I was thrilled to enjoy with my best friend in the whole world, but I also got over my fear of putting myself out there as a writer. I also met some extraordinary people, including my editor, RJ Cavender, for whom "thank you" is not enough.

  11. Speaking of RJ, he gets his own gratitude number. I am so lucky to have met him, and his work on my manuscript has taught me things I will carry with me always. He is also responsible for introducing me to an agent and giving me the courage to submit to her, and for that...well...just...that is huge. I will always be grateful.


  12. My best friend, Mike, gave me a printer and part of my Christmas gift office chair, plus he recommended several great apps for my iPad and the Scrivener software for my computer. He went with me to New Orleans. Moreover, he has listened to endless hours of me rattling on about my story without trying to push me to write the story his way, and that is rare. He has been supportive in every way a friend can be, and after almost 30 years of friendship, I am still honored to know him.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! Thank you! I am very grateful for your friendship, as well!

    ReplyDelete