Monday, January 13, 2014

Random Interesting Stuff (or How I Cut My Distractions and Got Busy Writing Book 2)

How to Break Through Your Creative Block by Maria Popova for Brain Pickings
I'm working on this. I get easily distracted and sidetracked with to-do lists and social media, and then the next thing I know I'm taking a nap. My solution is two-fold.
  1. This blog is going to be my repository of distracting but interesting stuff. Rather than posting several times a day, I'm going to try to limit myself to a few posts at the beginning and end of the day, saving up interesting ephemera for one single blogpost every day or so.
  2. When I'm staring at a blank page or screen, unsure how to start, I take about 5-10 minutes and do a prewriting just to get things rolling. Instead of worrying about how I'm going to say just the right thing, I start instead with writing about what I'm going to write about. I don't worry about grammar or paragraph breaks or any of that. Sometimes it's just a list. But I'm thinking about the scene and what I want to have happen. By the time I've told myself what I'm going to tell, it's easy to start telling it. The hard work is done.

Why Dogs Make Fun Writing Partners by Jennifer Robson for Writer's Digest
I loved this article, and I couldn't agree more. Layla needs a break about as often as I need a new cup of coffee, so that's a partnership that works. Plus, she keeps my feet warm. I keep her bed right behind my chair, though she often chooses to lie down under my desk or on the rug at my side. She's a good companion since she doesn't say much but is an excellent listener.

"The Poisoner's Handbook," American Experience . WGBH | PBS
My high school English teacher sent me a link to this video on Facebook, and it was definitely worth watching. I've always loved murder mysteries and true crime, so it was interesting to me to see the development of this end of CSI work.

Vampires: Folklore, fantasy and fact - Michael Molina 
 

I don't think I really need to explain why I find this short video sent to me by a friend so fascinating and fun.

    Vampire ForensicsVampire Forensics
    I bought this book for my Kindle, and I'm really enjoying the details inside. Though I can't reveal just how (spoilers!), there are definite ways this book will inform some of the things that happen in Book 2. As a reader, I always like knowing that an author has done his/her homework, so I want to be sure I'm following through on that expectation too.

    I've got a few more books on their way, and I'll be doing some book reviews once I'm finished reading for those who are interested in vampire lore and history.



      History of Magic and Experimental Science
      I bought this set of books at the last library book sale. None of them had been read in 30 years or more, but the title alone is fascinating. It's an encyclopedic study of how superstitions about witchcraft and alchemy developed over the course of several centuries into what we now call the sciences.

      These books are far too lengthy for me to read straight through beginning to end, but they are wonderful to dip in and out of. Vampires and other supernatural creatures are discussed throughout history, beginning with the Greek NeoPlatonists. Creepy geeky goodness. There are certainly ways in which I will be using information found here.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment